Fatherly Stuff: Valentine's Day

Feb 13, 2012

Valentine's Day

So, it's that wonderful time of year again. The card, flower and candy companies are chomping at the bit to sell their product to the men of the world so we can bring them home to our women, so they in turn can brag to their girlfriends about how great their relationship is to one another. I consider myself lucky because my wife doesn't equate our relationship by the amount of flowers, cards and candy I buy her for XYZ occasion. What she respects is the time and energy that I put into our relationship every day. This is why I suppose, she specifically told me not to buy her anything for Valentine's Day.
With that being said, I'd like to point out that I'm not falling for the "trap". No matter what a woman says, an expression of love, especially on Valentine's Day is always well received. Unfortunately, due to lack of funds, I won't be running to the nearest Tiffany's. At the same time however, I can't exactly make a macaroni sculpture and call it a day. So this is what I came up with:

Phase One, the useful gift: My wife is a kindergarten teacher, which means she's is an avid caffeine drinker. I bought her a really nice metal liquid container from Starbucks that I know she will enjoy not just on V-Day ,but for everyday use

Phase Two, surprise V-Day breakfast: One of my few talents is making pancakes. My pancake making skills are legendary throughout the hallowed halls of our 2 bedroom apartment. Tomorrow morning, she will wake up to the smell of delicious strawberry pancakes. When walks into the dining room, she will not only find a plate of red heart-shaped pancakes (dyed with food coloring), there will also be a V-Day card. In it will be a gift certificate to her a manicure/pedicure/eyebrow wax at a local salon. Boom goes the dynimite.

UPDATE: Didnt come out the greatest, but the effort was appreciated

Phase Three, Date Day: We decided to schedule a vacation day in the middle of the week (not ON Valentine's, that would be too cliche) and after we drop off the little one to day care, we will have the day all to ourselves to do whatever her heart desires. If it's a nice day we may have a picnic at the local vineyard. If not, we may go ice skating. Or maybe we'll stay home an watch movies. It doesnt matter. As long as she's happy, I'm happy :-)


Also while planning this, time was found to make a contribution to my son's day care's V-Day pajama party:
Finished Product.
They only took about 15 minutes, and that's counting the time spend prepping, cleaning and preventing the little one from eating all the marshmellows.

So, that's what I plan on doing, wish me luck!

What about you guys? What do you have planned??

I just hope that wherever you are, whatever you do, your Valentine's Day is celebrated with the people you love the most.


If you enjoyed this article, please share with others by clicking on the social media icons below.

Or if you want to get updates of new posts, you can enter your email here

You can also connect with us through Facebook, or Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment